Re: Generator query

To: "Edwin McCarroll" <emccarroll@mco.edu>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Generator query
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 19:09:37 +0100
If Barney's comments indicate charging is OK disconnect the ground strap at
the battery and connect a low-wattage 12v bulb in its place e.g. a
test-lamp.  With everything switched off, including anything like doors that
may operate courtesy lights, there should be no glow.  If you have a glow
you have a significant leakage somewhere that will flatten the battery.
Start pulling fuses and connectors innbrown wires to track it down.  If you
have no glow remove the test-lamp and connect a *volt* meter in its place.
If you get a reading of 12v you still have a leakage but not enough to light
a test-lamp, however it will still discharge the battery, track down as
before.  The lower the reading the lower the leakage.

Note that systems with an alternator will always have some leakage through
the diodes, but this will be in the order of micro-amps and show up as just
a few volts on the meter, and this will only discharge the battery over a
very long time.  I would expect a dynamo/control box system to have no
leakage at all because of the action of the cut-out relay.

PaulH.