Re: Interesting eBay MGB Item!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Interesting eBay MGB Item!
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:00:22 EDT
--part1_1e.a9a1025.26eff366_boundary

From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Full-name: ATWEDITOR
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:26:20 EDT
To: Ajhsys@aol.com

In a message dated 9/12/00 9:35:07 AM, Ajhsys@aol.com writes:

<<
<< What a concept.... Is this legal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=430057611&r=
0&t=0 >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

It is probably legal as long as you are selling a VIN plate and title as a
"collectible" item rather than for any illegal purpose, such as putting the
VIN plate on a different car.  Owning it is probably legal...using it on
another car could get you in trouble.  I'm sure the seller doesn't have any
other reason in mind, except as a collectible item.

RIGHT!!!!! >>

>From my experience with the Maryland authorities, I'd say all is fair so long
as it meets the definition in their narrow little brains, and this seems to
fit right into that channel.  All they care about is have the numbers
match--that is it, period.  When I had a title hassle with them, they gave me
a printout of the last owner of the target title number in Maryland, and said
I should hunt him down and pay him money to sign over a duplicate title to
me.  They had absolutely no concern about the subsequent owners of the car
outside of Maryland, they just wanted everything square in-state.  As it
turned out the car had several owners after this guy--who turned out to be a
hunted criminal--and left the state to be wrecked and then parted out, which
is how the numbers ended up on my car.  They also had no concern that the
numbers didn't even describe my car!
So I'd say that if someone has a '68-era MGB in need of a title, your ship
has landed and it is only $75.

Jay Donoghue
72B
72B-GT