Adjustable steering column

To: 2cam <mgatwincam@egroups.com>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Adjustable steering column
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 19:41:19 -0700
Question(s)

I would like to know about some options that MGAs came with that are not always
verified on the BMH build certificate.

1) I have read/heard that all North American twin cams were equipped with the
adjustable steering column.  My early twin cam has the adjustable column but the
Heritage certificate and the MGCC's Production History of the Twin Cam do not
list it.  Does anyone have a North American twin cam that they know came from
the factory without the adjustable column?

2) Did all North American MGA's come with the adjustable column?  In other
words, can anyone verify that they have a NA MGA that came from the factory
WITHOUT the adjustable column?

My early twin cam roadster (tourer) had the sound/heat foam pad glued to the
underside of the firewall (scuttle?)  The pad is gone, but the glue swirls
remain.  In Clausagers book, he states that the coupes usually came so
equipped.  Does any one have a NA twin cam roadster/coupe that they positively
know came without the pad?

I have a late 1500 roadster body shell and it appears to have never had the
pad.  Can anyone positively verify if the standard MGA always came without the
pad or that certain roadster versions did have this pad?

I would even be willing to build a data base up and share it on these two
options if I can get enough data to form some sort of conclusion.  I would
probably need the model, VIN number, and the build date, if known, besides the
data on the column and pad.

Blake