Re: Oh Sh*^ BTDT!

To: Ptegler <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Subject: Re: Oh Sh*^ BTDT!
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:32:50 -0400
Ptegler wrote:

> Don't know about the clearances on a 1500 Midget (engine to frame)
> but without pulling the engine I dropped the pan on my 1500 Spitfire
> (yes the front pan bolts are a pain...getting to them.)
> I loosened the mounts, jacked the motor up 1" an put a block of
> wood between the mounts to keep the engine up.

  This can definately be done on a midget 1500. The pan
BARELY fits between the rails to pull it down, but it
fits. As expected, the front bolts are a pain, but possible. A
good small crows-foot wrench can make the difference.

  I would definately do this before panicking. You never
know what you might see.

  As Paul mentioned too, there are a LOT of ways for bits of
metal to get in your oil, and only some of them really mean
major surgery.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca