Re: Winter Rebuild

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Winter Rebuild
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 01:35:56 +0000
Michael E. Blair wrote:

> I am getting ready to pull my 78B off the road for the winter to do
> a full rebuild. Some questions I hope someone out there can answer.

<snip>

> The car runs great now (60K), no smoke or oil usage(amazing)... has
> around 110-120 compression per cylinder. I definitely want to
> upgrade the cam while I am in there.

I have only one question, really.

Why?

I am rebuilding my engine because my oil pressure (warm) has dropped by
30lb and I am losing heaps of oil (blow through that I have tried
everything to halt) and she is getting sluggish.  She is now over 100K
since last major rebuild - and I thrash the poor old thing on a race
track.

You are rebuilding yours yet state that "The car runs great now (60K),
no smoke or oil usage"

Is this just something you do every winter or have I missed something
here (and this is probably the case)?

If *my* car was "running great" and exhibited "no smoke or oil usage"
there is no way I would be spending money on a re-build when there are
plenty of other ways to spend money on her.

Eric
'68MGB MkII