Re: Brake Pressure

To: MGMagnette@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Pressure
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 00:32:25 -0500
At 10:51 PM 9/23/2000 EDT, MGMagnette@aol.com wrote:
>What is the average pressure of a brake master on a brake cylinder, at
full pressure?

Well, in round numbers, 70 pounds of force from your foot on the pedal,
times 5/1 mechanical advantage, gets you 350 pounds of force at the M/C.
Divide by the cross section area of the master piston to get pressure.
7/8" diameter piston would be about 582 PSI, and that's just a normal stop,
not a panic smash.

>85 PSI of air won't blow out a piston on my brake cylinder, yet I can push
it in further with a hammer.  Would hooking it up to a brake master create
any more pressure than 85 psi?  Want to know before I waste my time.

Yep, sure would.  If it's really stubborn you may be able to get up to 3000
PSI out of a large hand pump grease gun.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg