Re: Hood (Bonnet) release.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hood (Bonnet) release.
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:31:07 -0400
"Well, I just pulled the knob".

It went like this. He popped the hood. I poked and prodded the engine, he
closed the hood.

"This hood is so light, you have to give it a bit more distance to drop to
get it to latch correctly." And dropped the hood from about 9 inches.

My guess is that the latch is somehow jammed or stuck and is in need of the
WD-40 treatment.  Which I can do once I get it open.

My big problem here is that my total time under the hood of an MGB is the
time I spent in this one in the PO's garage. I look through the grille and I
can see what I would call the secondary latch, it's not touching anything,
but it obviously underneath a metal strap it would catch on if the primary
were to cut loose.

But without knowing where the primary latch is, it's a bit of a jumble. I
have a phillips screwdriver with an 18" shaft, so I can probably get to
anything int he front of the engine compartment, if I knew what to hit.

I'll take another crack at it tonight. I hope I dont have to damage the
grille, other than the fact that the badge is cracked, the grill itself is
in really good shape.

-C

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |