Metal adhesives vs. welding

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>, mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Metal adhesives vs. welding
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 09:14:41 -0400
Here's one for you ----  My basket case 52TD, known as Arby (Rust Bucket) has
some areas where the body metal has completely rusted away.  As some you may
already know, the TD has a wooden body framework that the tub (body) skin is
attached to.  Removal of the metal from the wood is a task that one wants to
avoid, if at all possible.  There are some areas where I'll need to add some
steel to replace rust in non-stressed areas.  Welding it in is gambling on
setting the wood on fire if I don't remove the panels completely.

        It dawned me that we have some amazing bonding products out there
nowadays, and things like JBWeld, etc.  Anybody have any experience, knowledge,
of just thoughts about the possibility of using a bonding substance where one
might otherwise weld?  TIA.

--
Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/