Re: Reliability of British Vehicles

To: <JustBrits@aol.com>, <erich@mail.ngbm.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reliability of British Vehicles
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 19:49:04 -0400
>            Ed
>
> PS:  My "every day driver" is an unrestored '70 El Camino.  Even beats
> out the '80 I have<smirk>!!

What Ed!  You don't drive an English car every day!  And an El Camino at
that... ;-)

Seriously, my TR-6 has been incredibly reliable this year as a daily driver.
So far the maintenance bill hasn't surpassed $80... and $35 of that is for a
Lucas sport coil which I didn't need.  I guess most everything that could go
wrong went wrong the first year I had this TR-6 (1999).  That isn't to say
things haven't gone wrong... as of last week the driver's door no longer
opens from the inside, and I've developed an ill-sounding starting noise
(bearings), and it drinks a quart of Mobil1 every 150 miles.  Daily mileage
for the summer averaged from 20 to 60 miles a day, so it gets a decent work
out.

Engine rebuild is in due course for this winter (heh, I said that last
winter!)!

LBCs can be reliable daily drivers.  It also helps if you don't run them
into the ground (learned that after breaking a few TR axles!).

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
1974 Triumph TR-6S (as in supercharged!)