Re: Reliability of British Vehicles

To: JustBrits@aol.com, erich@mail.ngbm.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reliability of British Vehicles
From: Hlsinger@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:21:55 EDT
In a message dated 10/1/00 6:11:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
JustBrits@aol.com writes:

> < Anyone know about fuel injected models (I-6 4.0 Cherokee)? >>
>
>  Nope, Erich (and don't want too!!<G>).
>
>  That said, you "expected" your LBV(vehicles) to NOT run?!?!  Better than
any

>  "New" piece of Cr*p on the road today (IMHO, of course<G>).

Probably is O2 sensors. You will have at least two and maybe as many as six.
After 95, most seem to have four.  It has been the first on many minor sensor
problems on the Explorers we run at work.  Ford people now say to replace
them at least every 60,000.  Problems we have had with them occurred at 68 to
94,000 miles.

I think all late model cars are more reliable up to a point.  After that,
they are expensive and almost impossible to keep going on your own.  They
also give very little warning of a coming problems most of the time.  After
the first few months, LBCs have lots of small problems that are usually easy
to find and fix compared to later cars.  One of the work Explorers has an
intermittent check engine light that no one has been able to find for 80,000
miles (total 130,000 ) no matter how new and fancy the computer.  My sister
is a soccer mom who lives in the Denver area and has 35 mile one way drive
two or three times a day to school, practice, etc.  She drives 4x4  Suburbans
and buys a new one every 60,000 because its is cheaper that way and  they are
not dependable enough after 60 to 70,000, so she says.

Alex H.
71 Midget
Tulsa, OK