RE: Metal adhesives vs. welding

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, Michael Nadeau <nade18@prodigy.net>,
Subject: RE: Metal adhesives vs. welding
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 14:49:30 -0700 (PDT)
I have had very good luck, both structurally, and
corrosion wise, cutting away the offensive metal,
making a patch about 2" larger than the hole, sealing
it with elephant snot or other non-hardening sealer,
and using pop rivets. It's finished by mashing the
rivet heads in flush with a BFH (hammer), drilling an
1/8" hole every inch or so on the patch, and skinning
it with *bondo*, usually the fiberglass reinforced
type. I've had a professional body worker not be able
to find the patch, it holds up to harsh Indiana road
salts, and severe body flex off-road (Please don't try
this at home:
http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/PaulsenTrail.html). I
use solid plastic body mounts, so the body does see
some serious forces.

Comparing rivets to adhesives is probably 6 of one,
half-dozen of the other. Probably one of the
advantages to pop rivets is they are easily drilled
out. A major drawback is the back side of the rivet
repair is butt-ugly.

jon

=====
77 MGB "$800 Speed King"