failed starter motor 71 BGT - what to check

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: failed starter motor 71 BGT - what to check
From: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:42:35 -0700
Driving around today, just running errands and suchlike, when all of a
sudden I hear a horrible noise from the engine compartment.  Slow down,
getting ready to pull over, changing gears seems to make it worse.  Gunning
the engine is  bad too.   Get to a parking space, try and turn off the car,
it won't turn off.  Well, let me amend that, engine turns off, but starter
motor just keeps going.  I think I've got the problem pegged now, so I get
it to a final resting place before it totally drains the battery.  It
appears that the wiring harness is OK, however I believe the starter motor
to be toast and the connections appear to have melted insulation on them.
I guess I'm lucky not to have a car fire here.  I have disconnected the
battery.  What happened to cause this, and what should I check (besides the
starter motor) to make sure I don't have some kind of electrical problem.
Some extra info, new battery and rebuilt alternator installed end of 1999.
This car sat for a few months earlier this year, while I figured out rugs
and upholstery.  Maybe that's when some of the smoke escaped?  Thanks in
advance.  Nina