Re: Engine stands

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine stands
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:30:49 -0500

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:06:28 EDT JustBrits@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 10/05/2000 10:32:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
> cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
> << Those arms that hold the mounting bolts just could not be
> oriented in such
> a way to fit the block.   >>
>
> I don't understand either, Max & Charles.  I have two different ones
> and have
> never had a prob.  One hace an TD motor hanging on it as we speak.

I've got the same problem with an engine stand I have.  I haven't tried
to put the Midget motor on it, yet, but the TD motor was a bit dicey.
The plate has slots in it to allow for adjustment on the arms, but I
think the whole thing is designed for American V8's!

I found that the easiest way to do the TD was to suspend the engine by
the hoist, take the plate out of the engine stand completely and loosen
the bolts that bolt the arms to the plate.  Then bolt the arms to the
engine _first_.  Try using different holes around the rear of the engine
to mount them, they don't have to be symmetrical.  Once the arms are
bolted to the engine, tighten up the bolts that bolt the arms to the
plate.  Once all that is done, position the motor with plate attached at
the right height to slide the base of the engine stand into the plate.

Let me know how you do.  I need to disassemble my Midget motor soon and
I'm not sure I'm going to get it on my stand.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD