Re: TR8?

To: frankk@intap.net
Subject: Re: TR8?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:34:39 -0600
Almost three months ago, I asked the list about the TR7, which is the
wimpier version of the same car. I asked the MG list as well as the TR7/TR8
mailing list their opinions while I was checking out a TR7 convertible.

 From the MG list, I got some pretty good feedback overall - some positive
and some negative. And in the end, I did end up buying the '80 TR7
convertible because I got it cheap and it needed a lot of work, mostly
minor stuff. I figured if I don't like it, I should be able to sell it for
at least what I'll have in it.

The price mentioned, $3500, is actually a good price for a TR8,
particularly if its the convertible. Values are quite variable, much like
MGBs, although TR7s are worth a little less, a lot less if its the earlier
buggy hard top versions. TR8 prices, on the other hand, are a bit higher
than the equivalent MGB or GT. The TR8 website says the TR8 (a TR7 V8) is
worth between $5k-$12k depending on condition.

The TR7s and TR8s do not handle as good as an MGB, and the braking is not
quite as good. The slope of the front is such that you cannot see the front
end as well as a MGB and judge just where the front end ends. Parts are not
as readily available as MG parts, at least in the US.

Oddly enough, my TR7 gets more looks and favorable comments than my BGT
here in town.

Your best bet would be to take a test drive and judge for yourself. The TR8
should be a good zippy car. You can also get more definitive advice from
the TR8 mailing list as well as the World Wide Wedge -
http://www.team.net:80/TR8/index.html

There is also a buyer's guide at the web site that will tell you what to
check. Although the TR8 is not as prone to rust as a MGB, rust is deadlier
and can destroy the suspension of the car.

One thing I have noticed about the TR7 and TR8s that may not be a good sign
is that its not unusual to find low mileages. The TR7 I bought only had 60k
actual miles on it. Compare that scenario to a MGB - its hard to find one
that hasn't gone past 100k.

So far I like my TR7, but I am still inclined to sell it next spring and
get a pre-67 MGB.  Its mainly just my winter project car.

David Councill
67 BGT near restored
71 BGT rust bucket
80 TR7 project car