Blasted Hydraulic Clutch

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blasted Hydraulic Clutch
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 22:49:18 -0400
On the second day of racing at Lime Rock over Labor Day weekend, I noticed
that my B's clutch pedal had much more free play before disengaging than
ever before.  After using it a bit, it was back to the normal 3/4" or so.
It has remained like that since.  After sitting, it is as though fluid was
leaking out.  None was.  So, suspecting a bad cylinder, I ordered both
master & slave & hose.

I began this project Tuesday night.  Starting with the slave cylinder.  I
figured since there are only two bolts, how difficult can it be.  Well, did
you all hear me cussin'?  The cylinder was a snap.  But, that damn hose was
near impossible.  What a position the bracket is in!  A real buster.
Probably took the better part of 1-1/2 hours to get the hose off.  And, 45
min to get the new one on.

Then last night it was the master cylinder.  More nuts and bolts that are
impossible to get at than I've ever seen on any car I've worked on.  And,
I've  been working on them since the 1950's.  It's no wonder B-L went out of
business.  The manufacture time for such poor designs must have been
incredible.  The inefficiency of blind nuts & bolts or bolts that require
special tools is what modern efficient designs avoid.  And, does anyone know
if they employed child labor?  They must have, as there are bolts & nuts I
had to deal with that only a tiny hand could install.

Then tonight, I was ready to install hydraulic fluid & bleed the system.
Got out the old E-Z -bleed & proceeded to flood the engine compartment,
driver's side floor & garage floor with fluid.  What a mess.  All from an
ill-fitting cap.  Finally got it to fit well & ran enough fluid through the
system to get it all nice & clear with no bubbles.  But, no pedal pressure &
no clutch action.  It's as if the work tonight was never done.  No visible
leaks.  Master reservoir full.  Out-flow clear & bubble-free.  No reason for
it not to work, but it isn't.

Anyone have ideas?

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB - immobilized for now