midget 79

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: midget 79
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 20:37:09 -0400
> ! own a 79 Midget with what is suppose to be a 1500
> here is the problem, the engine stumbles and surges when driving at road
> speeds. that is any speed I try to hold steady.

I can think of one of 2 things:

1 - vacuum leak - does the car backfire when you let off the gas ? If
so you are running the engine lean with a vacuum leak which may not be
present at idle - PCV valve maybe ?

2 - Most likely you have a slightly blocked jet. Remove the jets from the
carb
body, they are held in by a brass screw, which when removed will have the
jet
attached to it. (Hard to describe without a picture !!!). When you remove
either
of the jets, you may notice that they are blocked. Blow through them and try
and
get them unblocked. (You may also want to clean out the main jets in the
fuel
bowl while you are at it)

The carb on my car used to do this regularly. Junk in the fuel tank would
find
its way to the carb and block the jets (all it needs is 1 piece of grit).
Solved the
problem by installing 2 small fuel filters in the fuel line.

gerry