Re:Aluminum Flywheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Aluminum Flywheels
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 18:38:49 EDT
In a message dated 13/10/00 2:15:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Excuse my ingnorance on this subject, but, just what would be the advantage
>  of the Aluminum Flywheel on a daily driver over the steel one? I would
think
>  you would lose some of the torque and replace it with the ability to atain
>  higher rev's which is not really practicle for the street. If anyone can
>  explain the pro's & con's of Alumimun vs Steel Flywheels, I would be
>  greatful.

You can't rev any higher. That ability is a function of valve train and cam.
You can rev faster.
You lose smoothness at idle and lower rpm as a trade-off.

I use an alloy wheel in my TVR - they were homologated with them, and a very
light steel one in my Twincam.
Would I bother on the street? No way.

Bill