Re: Aluminum Flywheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aluminum Flywheels
From: Simon Matthews <simon@matthews-family.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 18:20:45 -0700 (PDT)
With a flywheel, what is surely required is large moment of angular
inertia, and low weight.

With aluminium, which is stronger than steel, *perhaps* it is possible to
achieve this better than with steel. One would have as much as possible of
the weight of the flywheel distributed around the periphery, with a
thinner section inside. I am sure the same can be done with steel, but a
more extreme distribution could be done with aluminium.

I don't see why either the weight or angular moment of inertia would have
any impact of the maxiumum revs -- only the rate at which engine speed can
be increased, and even then, the flywheel only has a significant impact
when the engine is revved-up out of gear (or with the clutch dis-engaged).

Simon