Re:4 synchro trans in MGA or Non Synchro?

To: larryhoy@prodigy.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:4 synchro trans in MGA or Non Synchro?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 19:11:45 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/00 1:32:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
larryhoy@prodigy.net writes:

> Ah, to be a purist!  I run the 3 sycnro in my B race car.
>
>  But for a "driver" I gotta say I would like the fully syncro'd trans.
Good
> thing I've got a
>  sawsall, cutting torch and a MIG welder! <grin>

Not for me!

I've done em all (just about). I have an all synch in my MGC, another all
synch straight cut close ratio (those are getting hard to find these days),
and close ratio non-synch boxes in both race cars, and I have to state my
strong personal preference for the early box, although the regular ratios can
be a bother on the street with the big gap between 2 and 3. OTOH, the CR box
is a pig to get going with  from a standstill, if you have lots of cam, but
once you are moving, the splits are just too sweet.

I can shift on the MGA at 6500 or 7000, when not in the thick of things and
having to try really hard, and the rpm drop only about 1200 rpm between
gears, and it 'snicks' into each gear so nicely......

But hey, for you guys that don't want to be bothered double clutching into
first...;-)

Bil