Re: How to check cam wear?

To: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to check cam wear?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:00:43 -0600
It may not be a precise measuring method but you should have some idea when
adjusting the valves, just by watching the springs compress when you rotate
the engine and cam. When my cam went it was pretty obvious because you
normally have one valve down, you adjust the opposing one that is up (using
the sum of 9).  I kept waiting for a few valves to go down and they didn't.
At that point I knew I had a problem and sure enough, upon removing the
cam, I saw my Isky reground cam was literally lobeless on several once
lobed areas. So much for reground cams. Fortunately I had another spare
stock cam.

David Councill
67 BGT
71 BGT