Re: How to check cam wear?

To: "Matthew Trebelhorn" <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How to check cam wear?
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:30:11 +0100
Don't understand what you mean by "whenever I adjust the valves, they aren't
tight (as would indicate wearing valve seats) but a few thou. loose." unless
you mean that every time you *check* them after several thousand miles the
clearance has opened up and you have to readjust them.  I have found that
some valves can exhibit significant differences in clearance either side of
the strict 'rule of nine' point which gave me problems in getting repeatable
adjustments until I discovered it.  I now check either side of the 'rule of
nine' point and set the gap at its widest point.

Valve lift is a measure of cam lobe wear (and possibly slop in the bearings)
and seems to be specced at .3645" for all engines.

PaulH.