Re: TD Radiator Installation

To: tr6@pipeline.com
Subject: Re: TD Radiator Installation
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 17:29:36 -0400
Hi Ron,
  It's amusing to find your question this afternoon, as I just
reinstalled the radiator in my TD this morning.  Water pump was leaking,
after only 48 years of service, so Phil Marino rebuilt it with new seals
and bearings.
  Order of things from the top:
 Radiator
 Rubber pad(washer) with the ring around it
 Chassis/radiator mount cross beam
 Rubber pad(washer) with the ring around it
 Large steel washer
 Nut

  The rings will fall off the rubber pads until the pads are slightly
squeezed. That's not a problem with the upper ones.  For the lower rings,
get the nuts started and turn them up a little. Then slip on the ring and
take a couple more turns on the nuts.  Pause there.
  Slip on the upper radiator hose.
  Put the bolts into headlamp fittings - no nuts yet
  Hook up other plumbing-bypass hose, heater pipes, etc.
  Wiggle the radiator to be sure it's centered.
  Snug up the hose clamps.
  Connect the side stays to the radiator.
  Put nuts on headlamp bolts and tighten.
  Snug up the bottom radiator nuts.

  You might find that you can't get the wrench onto the rad nuts when the
rad is fully down.  I have found that using a couple of cedar shingles as
shims to hold the rad up slightly when starting the nuts and first
turning them is a great help. When the nuts are up high enough that the
wrench won't fit easily, remove the shims and the rad drops 1/8 inch and
the nuts are accessible again.
  There are a number of TD owners who don't bother with the nuts under
the radiator. They say that the nuts are unnecessary and that the
radiator is well secured without them.   I'm not in that group. I figure
that if MG spent the money to braze the studs onto the radiator and
invested in the cost of labor that it takes to struggle the nuts on, that
they must have had good reason to use them.
Bib