Re: New Mini

To: RobMGB@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Mini
From: Tomsaudi@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 01:44:17 EST
Rob-
My AOL was unable to load the image, but most press release photos show a red
Mini. This car will be imported into the States, starting at maybe $18,000.
The car will be sold at BMW dealers. Although built in the UK, BMW is
expected to seriously downplay its British origins, citing a general distrust
of British cars by the general American car-buying public.

BMW is counting on the Mini to be next year's New Beetle or P/T Cruiser, but
I am skeptical. The Mini following here in the US has been considered little
more than a cult following; I think I read only 10,000 Minis were actually
imported to America. Larger than the original, it looks like the new Mini has
what it takes to be success, but as far as America goes, it will be more
about the car's attributes than nostalgia here that will determine the
success or failure of the car in America.

Although they are not even close to competing with each other on a sales
basis, I think the "in" car to be talking about here next year is going to be
the new Ford Thunderbird, and from what I've read, this could possibly be the
best new Ford in decades. I see the T-Bird stealing a lot of thunder from the
Mini.

Now, no flaming please, guys. I want the Mini to make it here. Having only
seen pictures, my wife already wants one for herself. It's just my opinion
that BMW has its work cut out for them, and I pray they do a proper job
marketing the car.

Tom