Classic Adelaide 2000

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Classic Adelaide 2000
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 05:56:33 +0000
Well, it is over again for another year and I am happily exhausted after
4 days of hundreds of miles of running around the Adelaide (South
Australia) hills in the company of some beautiful and expensive classic
cars.

I have thrown up the first lot of random images from the event here:
http://www.erickson.on.net/mgb/classic/2000

The ONLY MG entered in the Competition section of the Rally was the BRG
1967 MG Midget (1275) of Western Australian's Stuart and James McLagan.
They finished third in their class (OK, so there were only three left in
their class at the end of the rally) behind two Mini Cooper S.  After
some minor mechanical difficulties on Day 1, they finished just 38
minutes behind their class winner.

I really am going to have to make the effort to get Team MG together
properly for next year's event!

Sir Jack Brabham (now in his 70's) managed to avoid the tree that jumped
out at him last year.  He was driving the same Aston Martin DB4 that he
crashed in 1999 - rebuilt and looking pristine.  That same tree,
however, managed to claim another victim.

I had the cheek to have Sir Jack autograph the section of the route
instructions which shows that fateful corner he overshot last year.  I
have a image of it on my website and you can see that it really is
treacherous corner.  You go flying over a crest with a blind hard right
hand corner then 100 metres on you are barely settled before you are
hard on the brakes for a VERY HARD LEFT corner (basically a 'V' shaped
corner).  Brake too late and you will NEVER make it around that corner
:-)

Well... I have a race in a few weeks and LeMans in December.  Ahhh, I
think I am becoming a revhead.

Eric