Re: More on wheel bearings

To: "Chris Thompson" <ct@cthompson.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More on wheel bearings
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:20:28 -0500
Chris, I'm with you on the rebuild sentiment. Nothing like
starting from scratch.

But if your oil pressure and compression are good, well maybe then
it doesn't really need an overbore, new pistons and bearings, and
while you are at it a new oil pump. Heads can be done without an
engine pull, (as often done with aircraft - where it's officially
called a Top Overhaul)

When I restored my bug, the engine was out of the car with the
good oil and comp numbers and had drove well. So I only overhauled
all the accessory components, restored the cosmetics and the damn
thing runs like a top 3 years later. But the damn thing also has
had 20 hours put on it chasing oil leaks, which I really should
have caught during my short cut rebuild.

On the other hand, the extra $1000 I saved 3 years ago doesn't
seem like such a big deal today. So take your pick.

Mike L
60A,67E,59Bug