Re: More on wheel bearings

To: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: More on wheel bearings
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 12:59:26 -0600
  Frank & everybody else,

  Ok, here's what I did before I took off on the 4400 mile CA trip last
Sept.

  Bought and had in hand two sets of bearings, seals and shims.  I was
prepared to relace the all the bearings and races if necessary.  Upon
cleaning and inspection, I found that the bearings and races were still
servicable so I regreased and reassembled both sides with new seals,
using John Twist's method to set the end play.
I wound up with the same stack of shims on the right side, but a
slightly different stack on the left because it was too tight with the
original stack.  Moral: if the bearings and races are still servicable,
I get peace of mind by knowing it.  I took one set of bearings with me
on the trip, JIC.  Everyone carries a set of selected spares and a
toolbox, right? ;^)

  BTW, installing those .001" shims on a WW hub without damaging them is
a real PITA.