head work - big valves and CR's

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: head work - big valves and CR's
From: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:32:46 -0500
I have in my possession a 1973  18V head I have a few questions
about.

I had purchased this head from a reputable racer guy in my area.
(was able to drive over and pick it up)
He basically sold it to me for what it cost to rework it.

It is in very fine shape. New unleaded valves and seats,
single spring configuration, banded nylon valve seals on all stems.
Measuring across the valves I see 1.69" edge to edge on the
exhaust valves and 1.345" on the intakes.  Stock?  modified?

I believe this is what is called a type C head. I'll have to measure it again
but I believe the combustion chambers are roughly .375" deep
I'll dig up the casting numbers tonight at home.

The head is only 3.095" thick.  I was under the impression the
stock dimensions were in the range of  3.175 to 3.195" thick.

Any guesses as to what this apparently shaved head thickness will do
to my compression?

...problems I may run into bolting this up to my engine?

....will this head thickness require me to add shims under the rocker
pedestals to correct for angle?

TIA

Paul Tegler   wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com