RE: More on wheel bearings

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: More on wheel bearings
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:28:34 -0800
> >I have never heard of a catastrophic wheel brg failure. They will
> >start to howl or make a grinding noise starting very lightly at
> >first in the turns and then go on aggravating you forever.
> >Mike L.
> >60A,67E,59Bug

Mike:

        1966 Jaguar 3.8 S.  Noise from the right front side of car during
braking only.  I figured it was a rusty brake caliper.  Turns out the inner
wheel bearing had failed, destroying the stub axle.

        1974 Austin Marina.  I never noticed noise, but when I walked past
the car I noticed the left rear wheel was sticking out farther than it
should.  Rear wheel bearing had spun on the shaft and the axle was starting
to walk out of the carrier.

        1976 Datsun 620 Pickup Truck.  A subtle hum coming from the front
end turned to grinding within ten miles.  Inner front wheel bearing failure,
destroyed the spindle.

Ok.  There's three catastrophic failures you have now heard of.

        I don't want to belittle your comments, but from my experience, with
the top down and a rorty exhaust note, you may not notice bearing failure
till it's too late.  I suggest checking and repacking unknown bearings.
It's one less thing to worry about.

Kelvin.