RE: Brake caliper rebuild

To: "'Phillips, Frank'" <fwp@ufl.edu>
Subject: RE: Brake caliper rebuild
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 22:38:36 -0800
Frank:

        Officially you are not supposed to split the calipers.  There is a
seal between the two halves that is not included in the rebuild kit.  The
seal is now generally available from a number of stockists, so that worry is
done with.

        You can pull the pistons out and rebuild the calipers without
splitting them.  It is not one of the most fun tasks, and it is very
difficult to thoroughly clean any corrosion in the bore.

        My preference is to split the calipers, I use a VERY!!!!!(2-5 psi)
light pressure on my air tank and a rubber tipped nozzle to EASE the pistons
out of their bores.  I make sure that there is nothing damagable in front of
the piston, just in case.  Like a pinky.

        I reassemble using Locktite on the bolts and a reasonable torque.
If you do split the calipers you will find that the bolts are not highly
torqued.

        One thing.  Make very sure that you assemble the correct halves
together.  If you don't you get to see how far a brake disc will bend.

        By the Bye, I found that Permatex Extend Rust treatment turned the
wire wheeled calipers a lovely shade of bluish dark gray.  Not original, but
it beats having the cleaned surface oxidising again.

Have fun.

Kelvin.