MGB vs. Engine Stand

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB vs. Engine Stand
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:58:48 -0600
>Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:31:28 -0700
>From: Michael Jose <mwjose@u.arizona.edu>
>To: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Still more on wheel bearings
>
>> Now, are there any questions?
>
>Yeah, just one more.
>
>If the bearings hadn't been repacked old, why would any new shims be
necessary?

>If the bearings were installed new, with shims, wouldn't one simply need to
>replace the bearings and keep the old shims in there, or do shims change
shape
>over time?
>I realise, of course, that old bearings could have been repacked, and that
>would be a different shim setup than brand new bearings, but, if  this
were not
>the case, wouldnt' the job be simply one of replacing the bearings?
>Please explain, someone!
>Mike Jose (yeah, i started this thread)

Mike,

When you're talking about an endfloat of two thousandths of an inch and a
working life of possibly over twenty years, there's going to be some wear.
And if you don't get the original shims back in on the original bearings in
the same order, yes they can have changed shape and thereby change your
endfloat. If you've been assured by the DPO that the job has been done
recently, then the job is immediately under suspicion. For instance, the
first kingpin job I ever did I wound up having to carefully grind down a
factory supplied thrust washer in order to get the right endfloat on the
kingpin. Then, I confess, I wound up using a steering rack shim in order to
get the correct endfloat on the bearings. Once that was all done, the car
drove like nothing else I'd ever sat in.

On my next car, I decided to buy a set of pre-shimmed king-pins. "Pre-set
from the factory so you don't have to!!!" Yeah... I had to... and I didn't.
The car NEVER drove right. I'm going back to doing it myself and KNOWING
that it's done to spec. And I have to do this all once again in the near
future.

Glenn
Glenn Schnittke
schnittke@mindspring.com