Re: Early overdrive questions

To: <Mgbbob@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Early overdrive questions
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:39:48 -0000
Only the earlier D-type overdrive needs the vacuum switch and relay, which
is maybe where the comment 'most cars didn't have them' came from.  It was
to prevent the overdrive disengaging under conditions of high manifold
vacuum - like the overrun - and was probably something to do with the high
torque reversals that can occur.  The LH was either of a different design or
just stronger, and didn't need them.  So it all depends if you have a D-type
or an LH-type.  If you have the earlier one I would either fit the
additional parts or be careful when disengaging.

PaulH.