Overdrive stuck

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overdrive stuck
From: "Mark and kathy LaPierre" <mgtrcars@cyberlink.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 17:49:41 -0600
Listers
    With the help of encouraging comments from this list, my 74.5 GT rides
again. Its full of holes at this time but we'll take care of those at a
later date.
    For now I need some advise on the stuck OD.  I've been able to drive it
around for a few days and the OD worked well.  I noticed today I wasn't
getting  any OD kick down in
3rd or 4th gear.  I tried moving the stick lever to help engage the switch
on the trany. but nothing.    Then it dawned on me that it acutally felt
like it was already in OD in both gears with out even throwing the steering
column switch.
    Then it happened ,  pulling into the driveway my wife had blocked my way
and yes you guessed it ,  I had to put it into reverse.  What the heck?  It
just spun freely. Then it hit me, how many times have I read on the list not
to go into reverse with OD on.  So I just let it roll down the hill, into
the street so I could at least go forward again.  A quick trip around the
block to check things out, and the forward gears are OK , how ever the OD is
still on.
     OK you MGineers, what is happening here and how do I release the
whatever is stuck?
The trany fluid (20/50) was changed last week along with cleaning the
release valve.
     Thanks in advance.          Mark