Re: Overdrive stuck

To: "Mark and kathy LaPierre" <mgtrcars@cyberlink.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive stuck
From: "T. Keith Vezina" <tkvezina@home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 22:05:54 -0600
I had a similar situation happen with the OD in my '76 about 7 years ago.  I
first made sure that the solenoid was working correctly.  I removed the
small rectangular cover on the bottom and then removed the filter screen.  I
found one quarter of a brass thrust washer behind the screen.  This brass
washer is about 1/8" thick, 2" dia, and has a cross-shaped oil groove cut in
it.  Evidently it broke along the oil channels.  Without this washer, the
cone clutch in the OD cannot engage, so the OD is always on.

Although the Haynes manual and the Moss and VB catalogs show one thrust
washer, there are actually two and they are different.  One is behind the
unidirectional clutch (shown) and the other is located in a seat inside the
main housing (not shown).  Of course the one I needed was the one not shown!
I had to get a replacement out of a junk yard.

My prayers are with you, my son.