Re: Early overdrive questions - longish

To: Mgbbob@aol.com
Subject: Re: Early overdrive questions - longish
From: Phil <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:20:28 -0700
If you want to know all about how it works, you should really read the
description in the Bentley manual very closely.  You can check for movement on
the solenoid to make sure it is good, but you can't tell if the unit is good
without running it, or if the solenoid is adjusted correctly until you run it
under load.  The solenoid pushes a plunger that changes the path of the oil
pressure which makes the OD engage or disengage (see section Fa2 - description
on
page 160).

Here is what I would check while you have the unit on the bench - the layshaft,
clustergear, and it's bearings.  The OD units are pretty robust, and as long as
the lining is in there, and the solenoid moves and is adjusted correctly, it
will
work.  The layshaft/cluster gear/bearing arrangement, on the other hand, is
known
to go out at about 100,000 and pretty faithfully.  The car will still run and
move for quite a while, but will pop out of gear and send metal all over inside
the gearbox.  Also, DO NOT USE A DETERGENT OIL IN THE GEARBOX.  It is hard to
find but get a non-detergent.  Supposedly (I have not experienced it myself, and
I had detergent oil in it at one time) the detergent oil will destroy the
overdrive unit.  Make sure you hook up the 3-4 gear lockout (if you are
following
the diagram, you almost have no choice, other than shorthing them - don't do
that) because if you back up you will destroy the OD unit in reverse.

The other listers are correct on the function of the vacuum switch - it protects
the OD and car.  For some reason the thought people have is that when you stomp
on the gas with OD on, the vacuum switch will automatically kick it into normal
drive - that is NOT how it works.  When you turn overdrive from off to on in 3rd
or 4th gear, it will go on (assuming it is adjusted correctly).  No question
about it.  When you turn overdrive off, it will only go off if you have the gas
pedal depressed somewhat (i.e. not drawing a huge vacuum).  If you turn it off
with your foot off the gas, the OD will stay engaged until you give the car some
gas, then it will disengage (section Fa12-page167).

Good Luck!
Phil Bates