Re: Alarming Gearbox noise

To: Rick Ehlert <ricke@idcnet.com>
Subject: Re: Alarming Gearbox noise
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:33:34 -0800
I've not had that noise, but here are some suggestions:  Worn
laygear/layshaft, worn 3rd gear, worn shift fork, and last but not
least, worn thrust bearing in the OD.  I have had this last problem.  In
my case I heard a bearing noise only on deceleration with the OD on, and
I could hear the same noise both accelerating and decelerating with the
OD off.  I finally rebuilt both the tranny and OD last summer, and no
more noises.

You can check the layshaft without disassembling the tranny (it does
have to be removed though).  See the transmission section in the Moss
catalog for instructions.  These gears are undersized and
"under-bearinged" on the early boxes.  At the risk of more controversy,
you might switch lubricants to Red Line MTL synthetic.  I've been using
it for nearly 10 years in my OD gearbox (tranny bearings were fine after
100,000 miles, the layshaft had some wear and was replaced, the laygear
was fine, and that noisy OD thrust bering was worn before I started
using Red Line), it's great stuff and may quite things down some and
works fine with the OD tranny.
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Daughter's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT