Alarming Gearbox noise

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alarming Gearbox noise
From: "Rick Ehlert" <ricke@idcnet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:32:42 -0600
Gents (and ladies),
I was winterizing my B yesterday, and something scary happened:  As I was
returning from the gas station, I down-shifted to third to round a curve and
when I did, third gear made this whirring gear noise!  It only does it when
de-cellerating in third, if you step on the gas it goes right away!!  It
sounds kind of like it's caught between gears, but it isn't!  Third gear is
the only one affected.   When I returned home, I checked the oil in the
gearbox, and it was half way betwwen add and full, so I topped it off.   The
oil looked very clean, and I haven't driven it since (due to fear)!!

Thanks in advance for you input!!!

Rick Ehlert
1966 MGB Mk1
3 syncro w/ OD