Re: Speedo Pinion Gear

To: LBCarCoMail@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedo Pinion Gear
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:52:03 -0500
At 08:57 AM 10/21/2000 EDT, LBCarCoMail@aol.com wrote:
>Just got my Magnette ZB back last night after having the trans rebuilt and
the Speedo no longer works.  The tail shaft that was used is slightly
different (from a Riley) and it seems the pinion gear is not quite turning.
 Does anyone out there happen to have a 13 tooth pinion gear that has a
diameter of .908 (or close to it) instead of the normal .748 12 tooth variety?

Actually no, all of mine are the 12-tooth variety.  If you need a larger
speedo drive pinion, I presume you now have a smaller speedo drive gear on
the output shaft, which would  give a finer speed reduction, commensurate
with a higher final drive ratio for the rear axle.  If you have not changed
the final drive ratio you may not want to change the speedo drive ratio.

If you wouldn't mind removing the gearbox rear housing again (already back
in the car, right?), I may have the larger speedo drive gear to mate with
your original pinion gear, and maybe also the output shaft to go with it
(if it's different).  Since I've disemboweled a couple of units with other
broken internal parts, output shafts and speedo drive gears are mostly a
disposal problem, so they'd be yours for the shipping cost.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg