Main Bearing Cap Solution

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Main Bearing Cap Solution
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:13:39 -0500
Earlier this week I asked:

Would anybody happen to know offhand what bolt will fit the main bearing caps on

a late MGB?  They obviously need a bit of convincing, e.g., a slide hammer I
take it.  With luck, the engine'll be in the machine shop on Friday.  TIA.

I just solved it, but you gotta' hear this.  The main cap bolts on an 18V engine
are 1/2"-20.  I didn't want to gamble on messing one up with a slide hammer so I
planned to obtain another bolt of the same thread (to match the hole in the
caps) and find a way to adapt it to the borrowed slide hammer.  As I pulled into
the parking lot of the hardware store I took a closer look at the shaft of the
slide hammer.  Guess what thread is on it?  Yup! 1/2"-20.  It screwed right into
the caps and pulled them out just as slick as a whistle.

The crank is on the bench waiting to be joined by the camshaft (if I can figure
out why the distributor drive doesn't want to pull out).

--
Bud Krueger
http://home.ici.net/~bkrueger/