Re: British Parts Locator/ V8 Conversions

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: British Parts Locator/ V8 Conversions
From: "n" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:43:32 -0500
Paul Nelson writes:

"A few years back, there was a company in Raleigh or Durham that was doing
this with new bodyshells and 1800 engines for around $10K.  I saw an ad in
some magazine or other at the time, as I remember."

A few years ago I learned about a company off (I think) I-40 in that area of
NC that was selling totally restored B's for around $10M.  I stopped by on
one of my business trips to the area & saw the work they did.  Pretty good
actually.  But, they didn't use a new shell, they used a decent bodied car.
Lots  of patches welded in.  But, a pretty good looking final product.

Don't know if they are still around, but when I return home next week, I'll
look in my files & post the name & #.

Around the same time I had correspondence with a guy in Phoenix, AZ who was
doing total B rebuilds for from $6500 to $12M.  Sounded pretty interesting.
Made a visit to him as well.  They were located in a number of open-air
garages.  Had one B shell upside down on a rotisserie after a heavy paint
job on specific areas so that the paint would run into hard-to-reach areas.
(Interesting attention to detail)  Came close enough to going with his deal
until I thought about the difference in commitment to capital investment by
each of these two businesses.  The AZ guy could have picked up stakes in
about one hour & disappeared with my sizable deposit.  Just made me too
nervous.

Ended up going with a good used RBB from nearby in CT.

Often think about these two outfits as I look at the $$ I now have in my '66
B.  Wonder if I couldn't have done better with one of them.

Norm Sippel
'66 B daily driver/occasional racer