Front suspension work

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front suspension work
From: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:14:49 -0500
List,

As soon as my front shocks get here (thanks go to Peter C.) I will start
putting my front end back together. Before I start this venture I would like
to post a few questions to the list that I hope will make this job last
longer.

The few parts that I am getting from the original (spring pans, brake dust
covers, steering arms, hubs) will be painted with Rustolium and put back in
place. The new parts that I have all look good but already, due to shipping,
have scratches in the paint. The new A-arm mounting spindles even have a
small amount of surface rust forming on the body which can be wiped off. To
what degree should I go paint happy? Should I paint the whole lot of new
parts for good measure?

I am using V8 and stock rubber bushings to reassemble the front end. What
should I do to lubricate the rubber bits for assembly that will not harm
them, is soapy water good enough? What can I use to prevent future corrosion
of the suspension parts, bolts, A-arm mounts, etc? I want to be sure I do
all I can to make this job last.

I can't wait to get the B back on the road with the new front end!!!

Frank Phillips
University of Florida
Facilities Planning and Construction
Phone: 352-392-1256