Re: clutch problems, 77B

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch problems, 77B
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:40:32 -0800
My hunch is that you are wrong -- bleeding the system will be futile (as
your experience so far suggests). You have in all likelihood blown either
the master or the slave cylinder (or both). Since you don't mention fluid
dripping on your feet I suspect it is the slave, which, as you note, is
leaking. This leak is due to the failure of the internal seal, not the
visible boot -- although that could need replacing as well, its function
is to keep dirt out, not to keep fluid in. In most cases of older MGs
(aren't they all old?) without a recent restoration history, the failure
of one of the hydraulic cylinders is a good indication that the other one
is on the way out, as well. The third component that will be a good
candidate for replacement is the flex hose that connects to the slave
cylinder. Some suppliers (I believe Victoria British is one) bundle all
three components into a kit at a reduced price. I strongly recommend that
in order to avoid repeating the tedious bleeding procedure more than
once, you replace all three components at this time. IMHO...

Tom McLaughlin had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149