Re: 72 MGB-carbs, HIF type

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 72 MGB-carbs, HIF type
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:12:06 -0800
Dan,

I have a 72 and have also removed the air pump, gulp valve and plugged all
the holes.  I don't have a problem like you mention, but in the past have
had my intake manifold work loose, which caused a leak and made it die and
run rough.  The other problem that you might have is a leaky vacuum advance.
Mine leaks a bit and I haven't replaced it yet.  If you have a vacuum tester
(makes a vacuum, not a gauge) you can check to see if the vacuum advance
will hold a vacuum.  There is also the possibility that the plug(s) at the
ends of the intake manifold have developed a leak.  I blew one completely
out once after I had set my valves and unknowingly stripped one of the nuts.
The nut loosened up and a large backfire blew the end plug right out onto
the firewall.  Fortunately I was only a couple of blocks from home.  Thought
I had really done it that time, but no harm was done.

When you are done with yours, come fix mine.

Dave 72 B