Won't rev up

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Won't rev up
From: "wcameyer" <wcameyer@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:43:50 -0700
My '67 roadster revs fairly smoothly until about 4500 RPM, then the
acceleration curve goes flat.  It cruises OK at 80-85, but is sticky from
there on.  This happens in all gears, and is especially noticable while
trying hard acceleration in first.
Standard engine, I believe, with compression 100-110 in three, 90 inn the
other.  This is at 5600 ft elevation, so the figures aren't as bad as they
seem.  Little or no oil smoke.  It has two HS6's, a standard exhaust without
resonator,  and power brakes, but otherwise pretty standard.
Can anybody please tell me what the problem might be?

TIA<

Bill