Re: 50 mile oil change intervals

To: barneymg@ntsource.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 50 mile oil change intervals
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:02:39 EST
In a message dated 11/30/00 6:17:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
barneymg@ntsource.com writes:

> I just met a retired gentleman at the emissions testing station today, who
> was driving a very nice split bumper MGB with the top down (ear muffs
> required).  Had a nice chat.  It turns out he drives the car regularly, and
> he changes the oil in his MGB every 50 miles.  It also goes through the
> Illinois state emissions test every 100 miles.  Good thing he lives close
> to the testing station.  But at least it's only done every second year.  He
> drives the car one day in the spring and one day in the fall, like
> clockwork.  He doesn't belong to any car club, doesn't take it to any car
> shows, just thinks it's a long term member of the family.  Maybe somebody

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To each his own.  If this guy is enjoying the car when he drives it, fine.
If he just likes having an MG in the garage, fine.  It runs, he takes care of
it, so more power to him.

Eventually this low mileage MG will come on the market by one of his heirs,
or maybe the one who inherits it will become an enthusiast.  The point is,
this is one of those cars that you find hidden away after many years, and it
will probably be a good resto project at that time.

Let him keep his MG.  It could be in a much less favorable situation.  (But
don't lose his address!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget