Re: Newbie question: how to unfasten wire wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie question: how to unfasten wire wheels
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:01:49 EST
In a message dated 12/5/00 3:52:28 AM, mark@nellemann.nu writes:

<< I was thinking about hot water or grease of some
sort, but i'm not sure if that would help at all. >>

I'm assuming you have the knock-offs (one big nut holding the wheel on).  I'm
also assuming you have hit the knock-offs really HARD with what we in the
hobby refer to as a BFH (hammer is the last word, big is the first).  Hit
them repeatedly and some movement may happen.  If it does, keep on hitting
them.  If this fails, I would use a loosening oil--not grease--a thin oil
that will penetrate to the splines and help release the grip.  Heating is
good, too, but not water.  Try a gentle propane torch applied to the nut.
Another option is to buy an assist bar that is available from MG dealers,
used to save the metal on the knockoff nuts but also providing significant
mechanical advantage with long arms.  When you get the wheels off check the
condition of the hub splines and wheel splines.  Chances are they are a bit
worn and may cause you trouble actually getting the wheels off the hub once
the knockoff nut comes off.
Good luck.  The C-GT is a great road car.

Jay Donoghue
72B
72B-GT
66 Mustang