Re: Newbie question: how to unfasten wire wheels

To: <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie question: how to unfasten wire wheels
From: "R. Martin Rogovein" <rmartin@yedtech.co.il>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:17:22 +0200
Well . . . sometimes there's more to it than that.
My wheel nuts were pretty badly hacked up by the DPO, and the 'custom hex
wrench' was closer to round than hexagonal.  On two of the wheels it spun
freely, no corners at all.
The only way to get them off was with a large plumber's pipe wrench.
Inside, they were fine - greased as they should be, with no rust.
The truth is, that if you don't mind them looking like C**P around the
edges, the pipe wrench works just fine.  It's long enough that you don't
need a BFH, and doubles as a BFH for other applications. !~)

(the knock-offs have since been replaced, though that shiny chrome reminds
me how badly I need to clean and repaint my wheels, and if I have them off I
might as well have a motorcycle wheel guru true the splines, and there's
that front suspension rebuild, and . . . .)

Martin.