Re: how to unfasten wire (CORRECTION)

To: barrier@bconnex.net, mark@nellemann.nu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: how to unfasten wire (CORRECTION)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:38:30 EST
In a message dated 12/5/00 5:05:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
barrier@bconnex.net writes:

> And check the splines for damage.
> >They should be sharp and not rounded or worn.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Just a correction that was pointed out to me.  The splines should NOT be
sharp.  They should be slightly rounded but not worn.  When the wheel starts
to wear the splines, they will start to feel sharp.  A good spline will be a
well formed triangular shape with a rounded top.

I spun a wire wheel once on my Triumph back around 1969 - 1970.  Not a
pleasant feeling.  The parts dept. at Buzz Marcus Motors in Glenside, PA was
closed that Saturday to take inventory, but I was able to talk the manager
into selling me the new hub so I could get on the road again.  An easy, but
expensive fix.

Keep your splines clean and properly lubricated, and make sure the hub nuts
are tight to prevent damaged splines.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget