RE: Wheel question

To: "SueCallaham" <wadleigh@syix.com>
Subject: RE: Wheel question
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:01:09 -0600
Sue, in order to change from steel wheels to wire wheels you have to change
the front hubs and the whole rear axle assembly, including the housing.
Evidently the axle shafts for one, (wire wheel or steel wheel, I can't
remember which) is about a 1/2 inch shorter than the other.  This length
difference causes a problem engaging the differential.  Therefore, you have
to change the whole rear housing.  I'm getting ready to change my 74 MGB
from steel wheels to wire wheels.  I also looked into the change for my 74
Midget and they are basically the same, just different size.  The Midget is
going to have to wait a while for the change.  It's currently number 3 on my
list of cars to get fixed up.

Ken Waringa
71 TR6 (Working great)
79 MGB (Hopefully done by Christmas, but probably not)
74 MGB (My next major project)
74 Midget (Was a daily driver, but is currently sick)