Left Motor Mount & steering shaft Removal

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Left Motor Mount & steering shaft Removal
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 12:49:03 -0600
I was all ready to drop in my Buick 215 V8 for a test fit in my ,78 MGB
Body shell this morning and the last thing that I was going to do was
install the new motor mounts.  Unfortunately I discovered that there is
no way to undo the nut on the back of the left side motor mount because
of the steering shaft going through the bracket  (which is probably why
the previous owner left that mount in place when he redid the body).  I
removed the upper part of the steering column and u-joint form the lower
steering shaft, but can't get the lower steering shaft to come out of
the steering rack.  I was hoping that it would pop out when I pulled on
the shaft at the same time that I was tapping on the steering rack, by
where the shaft goes in, with a hammer.  Does anyone have any advice??
Thanks.

Kevin Brown
Odessa, MO