Re: Wheel Bearing End-Float

To: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearing End-Float
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 20:02:45 -0000
Try fitting some kind of lever to the hub to amplify the free-play movement,
by juggling shims you should really be able to feel the difference .001 or
.002 makes when it is right on the margin.  You need to distinguish between
any play in the swivel axle assembly and free-play in the hub, greasing the
nipples should help, and having no grease inside the hub or bearings while
test-fittings helps even more.  Free-play occurs with not much more than
finger-tip pressure.  'Free-spinning' with no free play is too tight.

PaulH.